Early withdrawal options

Your KiwiSaver savings are normally only available for you to withdraw after you turn 65 and, if you joined a KiwiSaver scheme for the first time before 1 July 2019, have been a member for at least five years. But you may be able to withdraw your funds early in limited circumstances.

Find out more about using KiwiSaver to help you into your first home.

If you're emigrating permanently

To Australia

If you move to Australia permanently, you can transfer your KiwiSaver savings to an Australian complying superannuation scheme that is willing to accept the transfer.

It's voluntary for Australian providers to accept KiwiSaver transfers. We can only process your transfer if your chosen Australian complying superannuation scheme has confirmed they will accept a KiwiSaver transfer. We are currently only aware of a limited number of Australian providers who will accept KiwiSaver transfers. 

You will need to show evidence that you have permanently left New Zealand and have lived at an Australian address at some time following your departure, and to complete a statutory declaration.

Your Australian provider will also need to provide information so that we can pay your KiwiSaver savings to your Australian complying superannuation scheme.

Find out more about transferring your KiwiSaver savings to Australia.

To other countries

If you move overseas permanently, other than to Australia, you can withdraw your funds (excluding any Australian sourced funds) after you've been overseas for at least one year. Any annual Government contributions you've received from the Government will be returned to the Government.

You will need to show evidence that you have permanently left New Zealand, that you are living overseas and complete a statutory declaration.

To apply, please complete our Permanent Emigration Withdrawal Form. 

If you've transferred savings from Australia

If you have transferred retirement savings from an Australian complying superannuation scheme to KiwiSaver, you will be eligible to withdraw these savings if: 

  • you're aged 60 or over, and your employment has come to an end after age 60, or
  • you're aged 60 or over and have retired (this means you have stopped working in paid employment, and do not intend to ever again work in paid employment for 10 or more hours per week), or
  • you’re otherwise eligible for a KiwiSaver retirement withdrawal.

If you're eligible to make a withdrawal of your Australian sourced funds, please download and complete the Retirement Withdrawal Application Form (Australian sourced funds only) and return it to us with certified identification and proof of residential address. You only need to provide certified identification if you have not done so before.

If you've transferred savings from a foreign superannuation scheme, other than Australia

If you've transferred money from a foreign superannuation scheme, other than an Australian scheme, into KiwiSaver, you may be able to make an early withdrawal to pay tax or student loan repayments owing as a result of the transfer.

You will need to complete a statutory declaration and provide other documents and information that we ask for.

Any withdrawal made to pay tax or make a student loan repayment will be paid directly to Inland Revenue, and not to you.

You can't withdraw more than the amount of tax you have to pay, or the amount of your student loan repayment.

You can't withdraw any annual Government contributions.

If you wish to apply for a withdrawal, call us on 0800 736 034.

If you're experiencing significant financial hardship

If you’re suffering financial hardship and have a KiwiSaver account, you can apply to Inland Revenue to stop making KiwiSaver contributions for a period (known as a savings suspension). 

Alternatively, if you are suffering significant financial hardship and have exhausted all other reasonable alternative sources of funds, you can apply for an early withdrawal. 

Savings suspension

You can apply to Inland Revenue for a savings suspension: 

  • if 12 months or more have passed since; your first KiwiSaver contribution was paid to a KiwiSaver scheme or Inland Revenue or you joined a complying superannuation fund,
  • any time after your first contribution if you are in, or are likely to be in, financial hardship. 

Savings suspensions can be for between three months and 12 months, unless Inland Revenue agrees to a longer period. You can take an unlimited number of savings suspensions, but this will affect how quickly the savings in your KiwiSaver account grow. 

Visit the Government’s KiwiSaver site to find out more about a KiwiSaver savings suspension. 

Significant financial hardship withdrawal 

You can apply for an early withdrawal of funds if you’re suffering significant financial hardship – for example if you’re unable to meet essential living and/or medical costs. 

You’ll need to show that you’ve exhausted any reasonable alternative sources of funds, and if your application is granted the amount you withdraw can be limited to a specific amount to meet your hardship requirements.

If you have a KiwiSaver account managed by ANZ Investments, check our KiwiSaver Significant Financial Hardship Withdrawal guide for more information on eligibility criteria and next steps. If you think you’re eligible to apply for a withdrawal, you can complete our KiwiSaver Significant Financial Hardship Withdrawal Application Form.

If you have a serious illness

You can make an early withdrawal if you satisfy the supervisor that you have a serious illness. ‘Serious illness’ means an injury, illness, or disability that has you:

  • totally and permanently unable to work at a job that your education, training, or experience makes you suited to, or
  • at serious risk of dying very soon.

You need to show evidence of your serious illness.

To apply, please complete our Serious Illness Withdrawal Application Form

You can also leave your KiwiSaver savings to your loved ones

If you die while you’re a member of KiwiSaver and the amount of your savings is more than $15,000, your savings will be paid to your personal representative. Your personal representative is the person:

  • who is responsible for administering your will, or
  • who is dealing with your assets if you have not made a will.

If the amount of your savings is $15,000 or less, we may be able to pay your savings in line with the Administration Act 1969.


For more information about early withdrawals see the guide and product disclosure statement for the KiwiSaver scheme you belong to. 

 The fine print Hide
Join the ANZ KiwiSaver Scheme

Find out how to join or transfer today

Need financial advice?

Find out how ANZ can help

Guide and PDS

ANZ KiwiSaver Scheme